Superior Savings Bank was chartered in 1924 as “State Building – Loan and Savings Association”. The purpose for forming the Association was to serve the community with residential real estate loans for purchase and construction. The institution was also established to provide a safe place for local people to deposit their money. Later, the name legally changed to Superior Savings and Loan Association and on January 1, 1993, the institution’s charter was changed to Superior Savings Bank. Originally, the Institution was housed in rented office space, and in 1960 an owned facility was constructed at its present location of 1130 Tower Avenue, Superior, Wisconsin.
Since its inception, the bank has been guided by a conservative board comprised of local business and professional people. Through the years, management of the institution has followed the conservative philosophy of its charter members through a variety of economic conditions – – even the great depression.
Handwritten records and documents of the earlier years have given way to those generated by modern computerized equipment, saving cost and improving accuracy. Through the use of this equipment, Superior Savings Bank has been able to provide services such as drive-in banking, standalone ATMs with deposit capability, telephone, Internet, mobile banking including mobile check deposit, bill pay and electronic statements.
From the 1920’s through the present time, our mission has not changed. The purpose of Superior Savings Bank remains “to serve the community with residential real estate loans for purchase and construction” with a variety of loan programs to fit our customers’ needs.